PAPAL BLESSINGS AND CURSES
"I will curse your blessings" Malachi 2:2
We remember well the Armada of Philip II of Spain, sailing with all its glory, laden down with soldiery, gold and papal blessings, to recapture England for the pope! The papal blessings proved too much for them – the Lord blew upon them and they were scattered, mostly into watery graves. History is laden with examples of the deadly nature of papal blessings.
This tract originated many years ago from the Protestant Truth Society in London and has been reprinted many times. Here it is (an edited and slightly revised version of an updated edition published by Protestant Publications of Australia), entirely relevant in view of the courting of the Papacy today. At least the papal “blessings” have been consistent!
Let it be understood: we are not saying that the Lord permitted the disasters mentioned below to befall those who received the papal “blessing” solely because of that “blessing.” We know that kings and presidents commit many sins, and that God often punishes them temporally (as well as eternally when they die) for their sins by so ordering events that they suffer tragedies and disasters as a result of various political and religious and even natural events. God is absolutely sovereign, “he removeth kings, and setteth up kings” (Dan. 2:21), making use of these very things to punish wicked rulers. The Bible is full of examples. It is not the case that the only sin they committed was seeking the blessing of the Roman pope, nor that God only punished them when they committed this particular sin. Nevertheless, this we can say with certainty concerning each case: the papal blessing did not help any of them (as they so often expected it to); and in fact they definitely added to their sins by seeking his favour – a very heinous sin indeed. They courted the favours of the papal Antichrist, they trusted in him, they turned to him – the greatest enemy of Christ on the earth – and they found him to be a miserable help, an impotent idol, powerless to prevent divine judgement, yea, even one of the principal causes of it. The Lord indeed curses what Antichrist blesses.
* Pope Pius IX sent the Golden Rose to the King of Two Sicilies, and in less than a year he lost his crown and kingdom.
* The same Pope sent his blessings to the Austrian Kaiser, and in less than a year he lost Venetia, and suffered defeat in Sadowa.
* The same Pope sent the Golden Rose to Queen Isabella of Spain, and in a short time she lost her crown, and died in exile.
* He sent the Golden Rose to the Empress Eugenie of France, and in less than a year the Emperor and Empress lost their crowns, and both later died in exile, and their only son was killed by Zulus in South Africa.
* The Empress of Brazil was blessed by the Pope. She and the Emperor were dethroned and died in exile.
* The Crown Princess of Brazil was blessed by the Pope, yet she died in exile.
* The Pope blessed the Emperor of Mexico, Maxmilian. He was dethroned and killed by his people.
* The Pope blessed the Emperor’s widow. She became a hopeless maniac, and died in exile.
* The Pope blessed a steamer filled with nuns en route to South America in 1870. It never reached its destination, every soul perishing.
* The Pope blessed the floating palace bound from Monte Video to Buenos Aires. It foundered two days later.
* In 1895 the Archbishop of Damascus, at Vittoria, gave the Pope’s blessing to the Spanish troops and fleet, with the result that Spain lost two fleets and two armies.
* In 1897 the Papal Nuncio blessed the grand “Charity” bazaar in Paris. Within five minutes it was in flames, and nearly 150 of the aristocracy perished, including the sister of the Empress of Austria.
* The poor Empress of Austria received the Golden Rose. It was her death knell. She was murdered in Switzerland, her only son committing suicide previously and her nephew losing his throne subsequently; whilst Austria had ceased to exist as an Empire.
* King Edward VII visited the Pope, and received as a mark of favour, a signed photograph of Pope Leo XIII. At once came news of a reverse to British troops in Somaliland, and the king’s health began to fail and was never restored.
* The Pope blessed Lord Denbigh, the Special Envoy of the British Sovereign. That very day disaster befell the British Army in South Africa, Lord Methuen being severely wounded, and the Papists in Parliament cheered the news.
* Princess Ena of Battenberg received the Pope’s blessing on her perversion and marriage, 1923. Within a fortnight she narrowly escaped death at the hands of the Romish anarchist, some 13 hapless victims succumbing, and 80 others being wounded. Her wedding garments were bespattered with human blood. In May, 1931, she, with her husband (King Alfonso XIII) lost their throne and fled from Spain.
* The Pope blessed Queen Natalie of Servia, on her perversion in 1906. She ended her days as a fugitive in exile, her only son, the king, being murdered.
* The Queen of Portugal – one of the Orleans – was blessed by the Pope. Her husband, the king, and her eldest son, were murdered beside her in a carriage, and she and her surviving son escaped – as exiles – to England, throneless. Portugal has been a republic ever since.
* At the height of his power, the German Kaiser visited the Pope, and received his blessing, 1908. He lost his throne, in 1918, and died in exile. Germany became a crushed and humiliated republic.
* In 1926 the Pope sent the Golden Rose to the Queen of Belgium. In 1934 the king was accidentally killed, and at a later date the young Queen Astrid (who converted to become Queen) was accidentally killed.
* In 1928 the Pope blessed the “Italia” air-ship, and gave it a “cross” to place on the North Pole. The result was fatal. The air-ship foundered, and broke in two, half its crew being lost, whilst General Nobile was severely injured, and was censured by an Italian committee. It was the greatest fiasco of the age.
* After Mussolini had murdered the people of Abyssinia and sacked their country, the Pope blessed the Italians as “a great and good people”. Mussolini came to an inglorious end and was hung upside down and his body mutilated.
* In 1961 Queen Elizabeth II visited the Pope, complying with his request to be dressed in black. Since then her once proud Empire has dwindled and her remnant island is seeking to lose its identity and be gobbled up in Europe under the Treaty of Rome, in the Common Market, to be subjugated far more effectively and economically to Rome. Also members of the Royal Family have had continued contact with the Pope and have brought great troubles on themselves and their subjects.
* Prime Minister Nikita Krushchev did not have a direct audience with the Pope, but worked to improve Vatican-Soviet relations. He would not go himself, but sent his son-in-law, A.I. Adzubel and wife to audience with the Pope on 7 March 1963. On 16 October 1964 Mr. Krushchev is ousted from his powerful position as First Secretary of the USSR. From then on he fades from the political scene.
* On 2 July 1963 President John F. Kennedy audiences with the Pope for his blessing. He committed more troops to Vietnam soon after, completely involving the USA in the war. On 22 November 1963 President Kennedy is assassinated.
* In 1964 Pope Paul presented the Golden Rose to Bethlehem. Since then there has been nothing but trouble in Israeli territories, especially in the “holy” places.
* On 12 May 1964 King Hussein of Jordan audiences. On the 5 June 1967 his armies are defeated by Israel in the six-day war. He loses territory to the state of Israel.
* On 12 October 1964 President Soekarno of Indonesia, at the height of his power, audiences with the Pope and receives the highest Papal honour for a layman. He is deposed from office in February 1967.
* On 5 October 1965 Pope Paul VI visits New York City to address the United Nations General Assembly. He is met privately by President Johnson, who hails the visit as a great occasion for the USA. He introduces his wife and daughter to the Pope, and thereafter frequently attends mass at Roman Catholic cathedrals. On 1 April 1968 President Johnson virtually resigns by announcing that he will not stand for re-election. He dies a year later. His three years in office were among the most tragic in American history. More than half a million US troops were sent to Vietnam without decisive result. He had to cope with antiwar demonstrations unrest on the campus and negro riots. The prestige of the USA abroad was at its lowest.
* On 24 April 1966 King Constantine and Queen Marie of Greece have an audience with the Pope. On 21 April 1967 some Army officers oust King Constantine in a coup-de-tat. On 12 December 1967 the King and his family flee from Greece after a counter “coup” in the King’s favour fails.
* On 5 February 1967 Senator Robert F. Kennedy audiences with the Pope at the start of his election campaign. On 6 June 1968 Senator Kennedy is assassinated.
* On 1 June 1967 General De Gaulle who, along with the “Big Three” refused to allow the Vatican any representation on the Peace Council after the defeat of the Axis powers, seeks reconciliation with the Papacy and audiences with the Pope. On 24 August 1969 De Gaulle resigns after the defeat of his Constitutional Reform Bill.
* On 12 May 1967 Pope Paul VI visits Fatima in Portugal and is warmly welcomed by the Premier Dr. Salazar. On 8 September 1968 Dr. Salazar has a stroke and is partly paralysed. He is replaced in office by Dr. Caetano.
* On 31 July 1969 Pope Paul VI visits Uganda at the invitation of President Dr. Milton Obote, who is knighted by the Pope at a special ceremony at which he blesses the people of Uganda. Dr. Obote is deposed in January 1971 and went into exile as a result of a coup-de-tat by an Army officer, Idi Amin. For the next eight years the Ugandans suffer under the tyranny of President Idi Amin. On 10 September 1975 President Idi Amin audiences with the Pope. Forces from neighbouring Tanzania defeat the armies of Idi Amin on 12 April 1979.
* On 29 September 1970 President Nixon visited the Pope to tell him of his decision to withdraw all American troops from Vietnam. He is coolly received, with no blessing. In 1972 President Nixon wins the Presidential election with a comfortable majority. Unfortunately the story does not end here for Richard Nixon. He compromised by appointing a personal envoy to the Vatican, as the US constitution did not allow official representation. On 21 December 1972 Nixon's son-in-law and daughter audience with the Pope. On 24 August 1974 President Nixon is forced to resign ignominiously over the Watergate affair.
* On 10 October 1970 Emperor Haille Sellasie of Ethiopia audiences. In 1972-73 his country is hit by severe drought and famine. In August 1974 he is deposed in a coup-de-tat and the Army takes over. He dies in captivity on 27 August 1975.
* On 30 November 1970 Pope Paul VI visits Pakistan to see cyclone damage and sympathise with victims. In March 1971, civil war breaks out and lasts more than a year. Many hundreds of thousands die and millions become refugees. In April 1972 President Yahaya Khan, who allowed the visit, is deposed after his armies are defeated in war against India.
* When Pope Paul VI visited Australia in December 1970, he pronounced his blessing on Australia. “May God bless the great Australian nation. May he grant it peace and prosperity.” His followers were delighted and expected great benefit to the nation but this is what actually happened: on 27 April 1973 Prime Minister Whitlam audiences with the Pope, and a few months later opens diplomatic relations with the Vatican, for the first time in Australia's history – and without any mandate from the people. In the period that followed, the country was hit by frequent strikes, intemperate demands for wage rises, business recession, record rate of inflation of 17% and serious unemployment. On 25 December 1974 the city of Darwin is devastated by a monstrous cyclone. On 13 December 1975 the Australian Labour Party is overwhelmingly defeated at the polls. Mr. Malcolm Fraser becomes Prime Minister. On 10 December 1977, the Australian Labour Party is again overwhelmingly defeated at the polls. Mr. Whitlam resigns from leadership of the ALP.
* On 5 October 1972 Prime Minister Edward Heath of Great Britain audiences. On 17 December 1973 Britain drifts into the grimmest economic and industrial crisis since World War II. On 4th March 1974 the Conservative Party is defeated. Edward Heath resigns and in February 1975 he is deposed from party leadership by Mrs. Margaret Thatcher.
* On 14 November 1972 ex-President Peron audiences with the Pope before returning to Argentina as new president. On 2nd July 1974 President Peron dies of a heart attack one year after taking office.
* On 9 April 1973 President Thieu of South Vietnam audiences. On 24 July 1975 the armies of South Vietnam are completely routed by the Viet Cong and North Vietnam. Thieu resigns and flees from the country.
* On 4 June 1975 President and Mrs. Ford audience with the Pope. On 4 November 1976 President Ford is defeated at the elections and Jimmy Carter becomes President.
* President Sadat of Egypt had an audience with the Pope on 14 February 1978. He was assassinated on 7 October 1981.
* In December 1979 Pope John Paul II visited Turkey and was received as head of state by Prime Minister Suleiman Demirel. On 12 September 1980 Mr. Demirel is deposed in a bloodless coup-de-tat by Turkey's military leaders led by Gen. Kenan Evren.
* President Jimmy Carter not only highly eulogised Pope John Paul II when he visited the USA in October 1979, but even invited him to the White House and to address Congress! He followed it up by making a personal visit to the Vatican on 23 June 1980. He was soundly defeated at the elections in December 1980 by Mr. Ronald Reagan who won a landslide victory. The double Papal “blessing” did not help!
* Prime Minister Masayashi Ohira welcomed Pope John Paul II to Japan on 23 February 1980. He died of a heart attack on 12th June of the same year.
* Pope John Paul II visited the Philippine Islands on February 23 in 1980, as usual kissing the soil and blessing these islands. Thereafter the islands were devastated by typhoons, with much loss of life and millions of dollars’ damage. Cardinal Sin, Archbishop of Manila, was reported in 1981 to have warned that the economic conditions in the Philippines were worsening. President Marcos was ousted in disgrace. His successor Cory Aquino fell into disfavour. One crisis after another.
* On 9 May 1980 Pope John Paul II visits Accra in Ghana and is welcomed by Pres. Hilla Limann. On 1 January 1982 a military coup-de-tat led by Fl. Lt. Jerry Rawlings ousts the government of Pres. Limann because of alleged corruption. He is arrested while attempting to flee the country.
* On 2 June 1980 Pope John Paul II visited France and was given a state reception by Pres. Valery Giscard D'Estaing who also had a private audience with him. Hardly a year later in May 1981 he was defeated at the elections by Mr. Francois Mitterand, the Socialist Party leader.
* On 1 July 1980 the Pope begins a 10 day visit to Brazil. In 1982 Brazil officials admit a foreign debt of $90 000 million. By 1983 starvation and famine grip parts of Brazil because of a five year drought and economic crisis hits the nation.
* On 11th November 1981, Mrs. Indira Gandhi has an audience with the Pope. She is subsequently assassinated by members of her Sikh bodyguard in November 1984.
* In February 1982 the Pope visits Nigeria and is received by President Shegari. By 1984 instability results and Pres. Shegari is ousted in a coup-de-tat by General Muhamed Bahari. Pres. Bahari is ousted in a “coup” by Gen. Joshua Dagonyara in 1985.
* In June 1982 the Pope visits the Argentine and blesses Gen. Galtieri and senior members of the Armed Services at open air mass. Four days later his forces at Port Stanley surrender to the British. Gen. Galtieri is deposed. In October 1983 twelve senior members of the Argentine Air Force die in a plane crash. Among them is Gen. Sigrido Martin Plessi, Chief of Air Operations. Subsequently General Galtieri receives 12 years in jail for his part in the war. What a blessing!
* Britain accepts the “favour” of a Papal Visit – the first ever. Timed for May, 1982, she is plunged into war with 95% Romanist Argentina only weeks before.
* In September 1982, Princess Grace of Monaco dies tragically in a motor car smash. She and her husband had an audience with the Pope about two years earlier, while making a propaganda film for Rome.
* In May 1984, the Pope visits Papua New Guinea and is enthusiastically received. By 1985, violence rises to crisis proportion – pack rape, murder, robbery.
* In May 1984, the Pope visited Guadalcanal, Honiara and blessed the Solomon Islands and visitors from neighbouring Fiji and Vanuatu. By January 1985, Cyclone Eric followed 3 days later by Nigel, extensively damaged homes and plantations in Fiji, Vanuatu. In March 1986, Cyclone Namu devastates the Solomon Islands, leaving half the nation harmless, striking the islands of Sikaina, Malaita, Guadalcanal and San Cristobel.
* On 13 August 1985, the Pope visits Bomenda in Cameroon and holds outdoor mass nearby. One year later, a huge discharge of poisonous gases suddenly escaping from the volcanic Lake Nyos kills 2000 in villages on the outskirts of Bomenda.
* On 22 November 1986, the Pope is welcomed to New Zealand by Prime Minister Mr David Lange. In August 1989, Mr Lange suddenly resigns because he is unable to withstand the political pressures against him – although his party was re-elected in August 1987. Personal scandal follows.
* On 25 November 1986, Mr John Howard, Leader of the Opposition (Australia), welcomes the Pope at Federal Parliament. Here are excerpts from his speech of welcome: “You come as the most revered Christian of our time…We welcome you as a revered leader of a great church…the foremost member of the Christian faith…”!!! Mr Howard is dumped from leadership of the Liberal Party after failing to win the general elections in 1988.
* On 26 November 1986, Mr Jeff Kennett announces that he would attend the papal mass at Flemington Racecourse, although not a Roman Catholic, and meet the Pope. We believe he did. By 1989 Mr Kennett is ousted from leadership of the Liberal Party, six months after failing to win the state elections in Victoria.
* On 26 November 1986, Mr Barry Unsworth, Premier of New South Wales welcomes the Pope at Sydney. The Australian Labour Party loses the State elections in 1988 and Mr Unsworth is deposed from leadership.
* In 1987, America simply reeled under an avalanche of papal blessing, with the gigantic Wall St. crash occurring only weeks after the Pope’s departure!
WHAT ABOUT PAPAL CURSES?
If Papal blessings spell disaster, no less do Papal curses often result in temporal blessings:
* Pope Pius IX cursed King Victor Emanuel, the Liberator of Italy, and also the Italian Government that made Italy free and Rome its capital. The result was the rise of Italy to the position of a Great Power, until the Pope blessed the Italian troops going to conquer Abyssinia, since which they lost their whole Empire.
* Garibaldi was excommunicated by the Pope for all his endeavours, especially the overthrow of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. He became Italy’s hero, whose name was everywhere revered, and to whom noble monuments were erected.
* When Bismarck and the King of Prussia proscribed the Jesuits, the Pope cursed Prussia. It became a Great Power, overthrew Austria and France, and was for years the most powerful Empire in Western Europe – until, in an evil day, its Ruler fraternised with the Pope.
* The Papal curses of King Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth brought blessing to England, while Papal blessings to Ireland have proved its ruin.
(We wonder: what temporal judgement may come upon South Africa’s president, or the country itself, when to all the other sins that have been committed since the fraudulent elections in April 1994 this has been added, that the papal Antichrist set foot on our soil in September 1995, and “blessed” our country?)
[This last paragraph was written in 1996; and the answer is very evident!]
This article is an edited and slightly revised version of the broadsheet entitled Papal Blessings and Curses, published by Protestant Publications, Box 551, Epping, N.S.W. 2121, Australia. It has been edited and revised by Shaun Willcock, Bible Based Ministries, South Africa.
Bible Based Ministries
Providing teaching from the Word of God, and a biblical exposure of the Papal system
and all that is associated with it
Contending for the Faith Ministries
(Distributor for Bible Based Ministries)
42055 Crestland Drive Lancaster, CA 93536 USA