Tuesday 17 July 2012

Born again in Prison: Former Toro Prime Minister survives death row apologizes for the death of Prince Charles Happy Kijjanangoma


Katuramu's apology


Publish Date: Jul 17, 2012

By Charles Etukuri
Former Tooro Prime Minister John Sanyu Katuramu has apologised to the people of Tooro and Uganda.

In an exclusive interview with Sunday Vision Katuramu, now a born-again Christian, expressed remorse for the circumstances that led to his imprisonment.

It was Katuramu’s first interview with the press since his incareration in1999 and subsequent conviction in 2001 over the murder of Prince Happy Kijanangoma of Tooro kingdom.

Katuramu offered “unreserved regrets” to the family of the deceased.

Consistently referring to Bible verses, Katuramu said prison had given him time to reflect upon his life.

“It is unfortunate what happened, happened. But the bottom line is that I am very sorry,” he said.

Thirteen years in prison for murder. How has life been?
Life in prison has not been easy but when I came to Prison I renewed my commitment to Jesus Christ and that has helped me a lot. I have invested my time in reading the bible and it has brought me closer to God. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. I may be locked up in prison, but I am free.

You spent close to 10 years in the condemned section before you were transferred to the main Boma. What was it like there?
Life in condemn and that in the main Boma is the same. It is still prison. You are still counted, you still have a prisoner number. The only difference is that in condemn, you die many times because you keep thinking about the day you will be executed. My coming back here (Boma) was like a miracle.

After going through this experience, you realise that God is all you need, because God is all you’ve got when you are here.

What was your most frightening moment?
When the courts decided that I was to be hanged, and everybody rose up to say their last prayers. I had never been so frightened in my entire life. It was something that I did not expect and it was so scary. I felt like being buried.

How can you convince people that you are a changed man?
The John Sanyu Katuramu who lived outside these prison walls defined his life and happiness by material things. This Katuramu you are talking to has his life rooted in God. I cannot claim to be holy, but I have learnt to pray for forgiveness and to forgive myself.

If you were released, what would you do differently?
I would share with people what I have learned from reflections in my life while in prison — happiness even without material wealth. When you have God, you have everything.

What lessons can one take from your experience in prison?
However difficult your situation is, tough times soon get better as long as you choose to have the right attitude. Positive thinking will keep you happy and in good health.

Have you reached out to the people your actions offended?
I have sent out messages of love and forgiveness.

They have forgiven me just as I have done to those that offended me. It is ultimately in our best interest as people from the same family of God that we forgive, repent and reconcile.

There are those who have consistently been opposed to your pardon. What do you have to say about that?
Many Toro people have been supportive and have forgiven me. I worked for them and I will continue once I am out of here.

Have you reached out to the people your actions offended?
I have sent out messages of love and forgiveness. They have forgiven me just as I have done to those that offended me. It is ultimately in our best interest as people from the same family of God that we forgive, repent and reconcile.

There are those who have consistently been opposed to your pardon. What do you have to say about that?
Many Toro people have been supportive and have forgiven me. I worked for them and I will continue once I am out of here.

The Katuramu trial
Prince Charles Happy Kijjanangoma was murdered on March 25, 1999, two days before he was supposed to testify in court against Katuramu in a case that was intimately related to the affairs of Toro Kingdom.

Katuramu was accused of killing him, but he was only arrested after a protracted investigation. Katuramu allegedly financed the assailants who executed the mission.

Katuramu was convicted together with his nephew, Patrick Kwezi, by Justice John Bosco Katutsi after they were found guilty and sentenced to death in 2001 over the assassination.

He, however, escaped execution following the November 2009 Supreme Court ruling that condemned prisoners be executed within three years of confirmation of their sentence. Katuramu, who had been on death row for over eight years, was among condemned inmates who had their sentences reduced to life imprisonment, which in Uganda translates to 20 years in prison.